How to publish your HTML5 game on the Google Chrome Web Store
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to pack a game created with WiMi5 and publish it on the Google Chrome Web Store (CWS), where your HTML5 game will be available to more than 120 million gamers.
It’s important to note that in order to publish HTML5 games on the CWS, you must have previously registered as a CWS developer and paid the corresponding fee of $5.
Step 1: Pack Your Game
Before packing your game, you need to have created and deployed your game at least once.
The package resulting from this process is simply a compressed.zip which has the files required by the CWS.
- From the WiMi5 Dashboard, select one of your projects and go to Settings by clicking on the icon shaped like a gear.
- Once you can see the details of that project, in the left side menu, there is a section called Publish with several subsections. Click on the Chrome Web Store section.
- (Tip:It’s important to follow the order of these steps. If you click on the “pack” button before uploading the icons and giving the game a title, those last data will not be included in the .zip file. If you wish to change the icons or the title and you’ve already packed the game, you’ll have to deploy the game again.) In the Promotional image section upload your game icons. Then, in the Publication Title section, type in the name your game will have on the Chrome Web Store. This title must be text between 4 and 26 characters.
- Create a .zip file of your game by clicking on the pack button. This process will take a few seconds.
- Once it’s packed, the pack button will change into a button with an icon that symbolizes that you can now download your game as a .zip file with the files required by the Chrome Web Store.
Step 2: Fill out the Google Chrome Web Store tutorial in order to publish your game.
Follow this guide from the Chrome Web Store in order to publish your game starting from step 4.
IMPORTANT: Each ChromeApp ID generated by following this guide must be authorized on the WiMi5 platform following these instructions: Append A: Authorize a Chrome App ID
Appendix A: Authorizing a Chrome App ID
After creating a Chrome Web Store App, we need to know its ID in order to authorize its access to the WiMi5 platform, since all the games created and packed on WiMi5 currently make use of our backend services, such as User Management, Rankings, Virtual Goods, or Persistence of Game Data.
Obtaining the app ID:
You need to access your control panel in the Chrome Web Store. Click on the More Info link for any of your games and the ID we’re looking for is labeled Item ID.
Authorizing your App ID from the WiMi5 Dashboard
Once you know your app’s ID, go back to the Publish to Chrome Web Store section of the game you want to publish on the WiMi5 Dashboard. In the Chrome Web Store IDs section, add the app ID. Your game is now authorized.19/12/2014 / No Comments
- How to Integrate a Game into Your Website
- How to integrate a WiMi5 game in Moodle
- How to create texts from sprites using a SpriteText Blackbox
- How to clone a project
- New ways of interacting in wimi5
- How to easily adapt WiMi5 game templates to create your own games
- How to monetize your games using Virtual Goods
- How to use the CodeRunner blackbox
- How to use Game Session Storage
- How to Use Rankings
- How to publish your HTML5 game to other game platforms
- How to publish your HTML5 game on the Google Chrome Web Store
- How to set up game levels based on data from a text file: using the ParamMap.
- How to create a scoreboard for lives, time, and points
- How to Make a Scroll and a Parallax Scroll in 2D Games
- How to create collisions
- How to debug in WiMi5